Thursday, July 23, 2015

The First Letter (written 6.27.15)

Dear Reese,

My baby girl, honey bunny, Reesers.

All through my pregnancy I thought about keeping a journal.

But I didn’t.

Then when you were born I wanted to write down the story of your birth right away.

But I didn’t.

I wanted to scrapbook.

But I didn’t.

That’s just kind of how I am. All full of good ideas, bad with the execution.

So I thought, I’ll just write you letters. When the thoughts hit me, when the times are good, when you’re driving me up a wall.

I want you to know ME.

That might sound self centered. The thing is though, my dear daughter, I wish I could understand my own mother. I want you to know who I am as a person, and not just as your mom. I wish very much that my relationship with my mom was different. My mom is like her mother, and I don’t want to continue this trend. Things are going to be different with us. If for some reason they aren’t, I have these letters. They’ll remind me of my best intensions. They’ll show us where we were, how we got where we are.

We will be different. I promise.

These are my vows to you, my darling daughter.

I will always love you.
I will be your biggest fan.
I will protect you.
I will make decisions with your best interest in mind. There will be many decisions I make that you don’t agree with or like. My hope is that I will handle situations in a way that when you are older, you will agree with them.
I will make mistakes as a mom, and I’ll admit to them.
I will listen.
I will laugh with you.
I will cry with you over heartaches.
I will help you shop for a prom dress, a wedding dress.
I will rejoice in your victories and scoop the ice cream when you have failures.
I will always love you.

Love,
MOM

No comments:

Post a Comment